Thursday, September 10, 2009

A night to remember

Childhood. Such a simple word, but it really means so much more than just being of a young age. To me, childhood is synonymous with innocence for many logical reasons, but is defined as such in my mind due to one overwhelming experience i had as a wee lad.

It was a summer just like any other, carefree to the point where i honestly considered legally changing my name to Tom Sawyer. I was doing whatever I wanted wherever and whenever I wanted. Our daily ritual that summer happened to be a game we called "night tag," which is pretty self-explanatory, but basically served to burn the boundless energy we had in the form of running in circles. I vividly remember one night that was especially muggy and humid. Running was really starting to tire me out, so i retreated to a fat little bush that was my secret hiding spot. This particular bush had a nice little section of it that didn't have any leaves, so it served as a little room for me to lie down and catch my breath. Laying on my back I could vaguely make out the beautiful starry night above me as the hot breeze rolling over my bare chest was starting to make me feel like i had been trapped in the desert with no water for days. I suddenly remembered a very important fact about man's best friend: when dogs are hot, their fur naturally sheds. This is the human equivalent to taking clothes off, and I thought that it was rather unfair that dogs could do this and I couldn't. Without a second thought, i got naked as fast as i could. Ah, that felt better, now I can play some serious night tag! I ran out to show my peers my birthday suit and was genuinely surprised when i was greeted with screams resembling that of someone being chased by a serial killer with a chainsaw. I wasn't even "it" but these people were running away from me as fast as they possibly could and were not looking back. I was quickly ushered by one of the mothers nearby into the house we were playing at, where i was made to wait in shame for my father to come and pick me up.

At a ripe nine years old, I didn't know what sex was. In fact, i still thought girls had cooties. Nevertheless, i learned a very important lesson that day: dogs have much better lives than humans.

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha I probably would have ran too because I thought boys still had cooties! That's so funny that you thought about how a dog kept cool and you id the equivalent. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah that sounds like something i would do back in the day. good essay im wondering what your dad would say to you when you got in the car....probably really really awkward

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete